Top Ten Home Buying Tips!
1. It's never too early to start saving for your down payment.
2. Interview agents, remember they are going to work for YOU! Match your style to an agent with a similar style. If you are a first time buyer you should work with an agent who will take the time to help you budget for your down payment and closing costs.
3. You don't always needs a down payment! Yes, that contradicts tip #1, but in our area many homes can be purchased without a down payment.
4. Determine how much you can afford. Don't over look ALL your holding costs which include insurance, utilities, repairs, maintenance and potentially HOA fees.
5. Get your pre-approval letter. Your agent can give you referrals to trusted lenders. Often sellers will make this a requirement before they will even let you in the home.
6. Budget for closing costs. Will you want to hire a home inspector? How about a survey? Keep in mind the down payment is only a piece of the puzzle.
7. Get ready for the fun part, looking at house! Start with a solid list of what you must have in a home and lists the things you are flexible on. Remeber tip #2? If you want to see 10 houses a day or 1 set those parameters with your agent before you set out.
8. Congratulations! You made an offer and it was accepted by the seller. You jumped the first hurdle, but there are several more to a successful closing. Make sure your agent takes the time to cover with you all the requirements of your duties as a buyer so you can successfully close the deal. Make sure your agent takes the time to cover with you all the requirements of your duties as a buyer so you can successfully close the deal.
9. The road to closing can be tricky. NEVER EVER make changes to your credit. Do not go out and buy new furniture, or a new car, or open a new credit line until AFTER closing!
10. Ready to move? Pack a comfort box for the first day. Include towels, soap, shampoo and your PJ's! You dont want to have to root through several boxes to take a relaxing shower at the end of the day. Add your favorite sheets and pillows for a good night's sleep, include anything in one box to make the first night and first morning comfortable.